A late addition to the previous post...
The winnings all assembled in one spot. All the paper, metal, and wood outweigh the fiddle by quite a bit.
I also collected a stockpile of 1-piece maple backs while I was there.
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Recently returned from the VMAAI violinmaking competition, where my violin #21 (Guarneri-inspired model) fared quite well:
- First place, final tone, gut string division
- Gold medal for combined tone and workmanship
- Certificate of merit for workmanship
- Bob Wallace winner for best tone, gut and steel string
- Bill Barnitz award for best workmanship and tone of all instruments, including violas and cellos
You can also hear it played in the competition here: